Yummiest Healthiest Pumpkin Soup!
This soup is so easy to make and so deliciously creamy. It has good fat and no dairy. It’s a great way to have your kids eat their daily veggies too!
Winter squash, like other richly colored vegetables, are excellent sources of carotenes—the richer the color, the richer the concentration. They are also a very good source of vitamins C and B1, folic acid, pantothenic acid, potassium, and dietary fiber. In addition, winter squash is a good source of vitamin B6 and niacin.
Winter squash, especially the darker-fleshed varieties such as pumpkin and acorn, provide exceptional amounts of carotenes. Like other carotene-rich vegetables, winter squash have been shown to exert a protective effect against many cancers, particularly lung cancer. In addition to cancer and heart disease, diets rich in carotenes also appear to offer protection against developing type 2 diabetes, with pumpkin consumption being the most protective. Pumpkin seeds have also been shown to be helpful in reducing symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
All organic ingredients:
– 1/2 cup of overnight soaked cashews and rinsed
– 1 pumpkin head – roasted
– 1 cup of vegetable stock
– 1-2 cups of water (depending on the size of your pumpkin)
– 1/2 big onion chopped
– 3-4 garlic cloves chopped (I love garlic)
– 4-5 sweet peppers chopped (a combination of red, yellow and orange)
– A handful of basil, sage, rosemary or any other fresh herbs of your liking
– 1 tsp of himalayan salt
– 1 tsp of black pepper
– 1 tbsp of organic spices (I buy an organic one at Costco, Kirkland brand that I absolutely adore, unsalted)
– 1 tbsp of olive oil
– 3-4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
– Parsley to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds, reserving these for roasting and eating later, then cutting the squash in pieces. Drizzle with a little oil and roast in the hot oven until nice and soft approx 20-35 mins.
3. Once the pumpkin is about to be done, start a medium pan at medium high heat with the water, vegetable stock, the onions, the sweet peppers, the garlic, the herbs, the salt, pepper and organic spices with the pumpkin for about 10 mins.
4. In a high speed blender @vitamix mix the soup with the soaked cashews and nutritional yeast and blend until creamy. (Be very careful in this step as the soup is very hot and you don’t want to spill it all over you or your kitchen cabinets. Start with a really slow speed and increase little by little).
Serve and enjoy, Buen Provecho!!!