Just as we shared an infographic with you on the few companies that seem to own all the conventionally grown food in the world, we’d like to share one with you showing who owns our organics. You will, no doubt, be surprised and unhappy to see some of the names.
The first wave of acquisitions of organic processors was concentrated between December 1997 and October 2002. This period coincides with the initial release of the draft USDA organic standards and its full implementation in October 2002. A second wave of acquisitions in the organic sector has been occurring since 2012. Surprisingly few major corporate agribusinesses note ownership ties on their acquisitions’ product labels.
Dr. Phil Howard, an Associate Professor in the Department of Community Sustainability at Michigan State and author of the infographic above, has identified some significant updates to his Who Owns Organic Chart, including:
- Hormel’s acquisition of Applegate Farms for $775 million
- WhiteWave’s acquisition of So Delicious/Turtle Mountain for $195 million and Wallaby Yogurt for $125 million
- General Mills’ acquisition of Annie’s Homegrown for $820 million
- Pinnacle Foods’ acquisition of Boulder Brands (Earth Balance, Evol, Udi’s) for $975 million
- Post’s acquisition of a number of cereal and egg brands (including MOM/Malt-O-Meal/Better Oats) for $1.15 billion
- JAB Holding’s acquisition of a number of coffee brands (Green Mountain Einstein Bros./Noah’s, Stumptown and Intelligentsia, Peet’s, and Caribou)
Dr. Howard also created the chart, Organic Industry Structure: Major Independents and Their Subsidiary Brands. The independent brands include:
- Alvarado Street Bakery
- Amy’s Kitchen
- Bob’s Red Mill
- Clif Bar: Luna
- Eden Foods
- Equal Exchange
- Frontier Natural Products: Simply Organic
- Lundberg Family Farms
- Nature’s Path: Country Choice Organic, Enviro-Kidz
- Organic Valley: Organic Prairie
Pacific Natural Foods(Campbell Soup acquired Pacific Natural Foods in 2017)
- Sno Pac
- Springfield Creamery: Nancy’s
- Traditional Medicinals
- Yogi Tea
Dr. Howard observes, “I expect more deals to occur, since organic foods sales continue to increase faster than sales of conventional foods, and corporations are flush with cash and/or access to cheap credit.”
The Cornucopia Institute has aided Dr. Howard’s work with the sharing of research and information over the years. “We are proud to have helped Dr. Howard update this important infographic that so many consumers find to have value,” said Cornucopia Codirector Will Fantle.
A big thank you to The Cornucopia Institute for putting the list together.
Erin Elizabeth is a long time activist with a passion for the healing arts, working in that arena for a quarter century. Her site HealthNutNews.com is barely 4 years old, but cracked the top 20 Natural Health sites worldwide. She is an author, public speaker, and has recently done some TV and film programs for some of her original work which have attracted international media coverage. Erin was the recipient for the Doctors Who Rock "Truth in Journalism award for 2017. You can get Erin’s free e-book here and also watch a short documentary on how she overcame vaccine injuries, Lyme disease, significant weight gain, and more. Follow Erin on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
P.S. You can subscribe to her Youtube Channel for breaking news, television appearances and more.
Latest posts by Erin Elizabeth (see all)
- 84th Holistic Doctor Found Dead, Murdered in Home, Police Asking For Help - January 14, 2018
- Pennsylvania senator to introduce resolution calling congress to repeal the 1986 National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act - January 12, 2018
- Whistleblower/holistic Dr. Shiv Chopra passes away. Rest in peace. - January 12, 2018
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.