Not only is it not a season, but those flu shots the CDC (and even Walgreens) are peddling are only slightly effective and there’s a reason: influenza is an RNA virus.
What is an RNA virus? Well, without giving you a HUGE science lesson, the gist is this: Rather than having DNA as their genetic material, they have RNA. While the process of infection is similar to that of the DNA virus, in this case, the RNA “hijacks” the cell’s reproductive machinery to produce new viruses. This eventually kills the cell and leaves it to infect other cells. RNA viruses are also prone to mutation (unlike DNA viruses) so they mutate rather quickly. Because of this, RNA viruses are ridiculously difficult to fight using a vaccination protocol and THAT is why the flu vaccine has to be given every year AND why it’s often totally ineffective.
Besides the fact that you are hoping the CDC guessed right for the year, you are injecting yourself with (for this year’s common quadrivalent flu shot):
- Flu Strain A/(California) (H1N1)
- Flu Strain A/(Hong Kong) (H3N2)
- Flu Strain B/(Brisbane)
- Flu Strain B/(Phuket)
- Aluminum Salts
- Chicken Egg Proteins
For some people that’s not a big deal. But these are some side effects that have been reported world wide with the Seqirus vaccine:
Blood and lymphatic system disorders, Thrombocytopenia, Immune system disorders, Allergic or immediate hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylactic shock and serum, sickness, Nervous system disorders, Neuralgia, paresthesia, convulsions (including febrile seizures), encephalomyelitis, encephalopathy, neuritis or neuropathy, transverse myelitis, and GBS, Vascular disorders, Vasculitis which may be associated with transient renal involvement, Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders, Pruritus, urticaria, and rash, General disorders and administration site conditions, Cellulitis and large injection site swelling, Influenza-like illness.
And, with Fluarix:
- Blood and Lymphatic System Disorders- Lymphadenopathy
- Cardiac Disorders-Tachycardia
- Ear and Labyrinth Disorders- Vertigo.
- Eye Disorders- Conjunctivitis, eye irritation, eye pain, eye redness, eye swelling, eyelid swelling.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders- Abdominal pain or discomfort, nausea, swelling of the mouth, throat, and/or tongue.
- General Disorders and Administration Site Conditions- Asthenia, chest pain, chills, feeling hot, injection site mass, injection site reaction, injection site, warmth, body aches.
- Immune System Disorders
- Anaphylactic reaction including shock, anaphylactoid reaction, hypersensitivity, serum sickness.
- Infections and Infestations- Injection site abscess, injection site cellulitis, pharyngitis, rhinitis, tonsillitis.
- Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders- Pain in extremity.
- Nervous System Disorders- Convulsion, dizziness, encephalomyelitis, facial palsy, facial paresis, Guillain-Barré syndrome, hypoesthesia, myelitis, neuritis, neuropathy, paresthesia, syncope.
- Respiratory, Thoracic, and Mediastinal Disorders- Asthma, bronchospasm, cough, dyspnea, respiratory distress, stridor.
- Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue Disorders- Angioedema, erythema, erythema multiforme, facial swelling, pruritus, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria.
- Vascular Disorders- Henoch-Schönlein purpura, vasculitis.
For me and my family, the benefits outweigh the risks. We will pass this year just as we have EVERY year. Plus, we now have natural immunity- which lasts a lifetime- thanks to our run in two years ago with that pesky little RNA bugger.
In 2014 we all had Influenza (husband went to the doctor for a diagnosis- Influenza A) and we combated it with rest, peppermint oil on the bottom of the feet for fever, high doses of Vitamins C and D (thank you Dr Mercola for recommendations), as well as other supplements meant to boost the immune system, Colloidal silver, and lots and lots of tea. I am not a doctor ( I just play one in my home because that’s what Mom’s do!) and I’m not prescribing anything- just sharing what we did.
The most important things you can do for yourself during this time of year is get good rest, eat good whole foods, keep your sugar intake low, drinks LOTS of water, and get Vitamin D.
Latest posts by Aimee Proulx (see all)
- Ghost in the Machine, Part 4 — The war on supplements, essential oils and homeopathy - January 1, 2018
- The importance of omega-3 testing - September 16, 2017
- New homes will now require solar panels in South Miami - July 27, 2017
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.