Every now and then I get a hankering for a creamy dip to serve with some crackers or sliced veggies.
Since beans and dairy are out of the question for me, I’ve come to enjoy this creamy dip made from steamed cauliflower.
Dip Into Something Healthy
Regular dip is made with dairy and preservatives, which cause inflammation and hormone imbalances. This dip reduces inflammation through its blend of spices. Curcumin, the active agent in turmeric, has anti-inflammatory properties, making it a common spice for treating rheumatoid arthritis. Cumin has also been found to do the same.
Livestrong.com reported that “a 2007 animal study published in “Phytotherapy Research” found that the thymoquinone in black cumin effectively reduced inflammation in subjects with arthritis.”
Furthermore, cauliflower is also an anti-inflammatory food. In addition, according to Dr. Axe, this cruciferous vegetable “has been shown to help balance hormones partially by reducing unhealthy levels of estrogen.”
Other health benefits of cauliflower include (via Dr. Axe):
- Keeps your eyes healthy. The sulforaphane found in cauliflower has been shown to protect the vulnerable tissues of the retinal area from oxidative stress that can result in blindness, cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Cauliflower is extremely low in calories, making it an suitable food for weight loss.
- Cauliflower helps to reduce constipation and to keep excess waste or water weight moving out of your body.
- Consuming cauliflower provides liver supports, helping your body’s overall detoxification process.
- Cauliflower also aids digestion, reducing the risk of developing leaky gut syndrome.
- Good source of vitamin K, an essential nutrient for keeping your bones healthy and strong.
- Its high vitamin C content allows your body to ward off disease.
- Studies have demonstrated that cauliflower is an effective vegetable for preventing cancer. Cauliflower has been shown to have chemo-preventive agents that stall early phases of cancer development to help shut off tumor growth.
The flavor of the cauliflower is so mild that you’re able to completely dictate the taste of the dip with the spices that you add.
Have fun and make a spicy version by adding cayenne, or up the flavor ante with some extra garlic. Then, drizzle your finished dip with some olive oil and a pretty sprinkle of sweet paprika.
Creamy Cauliflower Dip Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: None
- 74 calories
- 6 grams of fat
- 65 milligrams of sodium
- 1 head cauliflower, steamed
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- juice from 1 lemon
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- pinch of cumin, paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, and onion powder
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more seasoning as you see fit.
- Serve with sliced veggies, olives and homemade almond flour crackers or even as a dip for finger foods like paleo chicken fingers.
*Article originally appeared at The Hearty Soul.