When I saw this recipe, and after I got done salivating, I knew I had to share it with everyone. I can’t wait to make it and if you make it, please share a pic with us! Sweet Potato Soul‘s Jenné Claiborne has created an amazing burger that everyone will enjoy. Check out the recipe and video below.
The recipe makes 6 patties1, just double the recipe if you want more than 3-6 servings (depending on how much you eat). FYI: Brazil nuts, hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds are pricey. So, if you are minding your budget, use almonds in place of brazil nuts and sunflower seeds in place of hemp and pumpkin seeds. This is what is used in the original recipe.
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- ½ cup brazil nuts
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 14-oz can black beans
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup quick cooking oats or oat bran
- 6 slices of toasted ciabatta bread, or your vessel of choice
- 2 cups arugula, mixed greens, or butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking dish with parchment paper. Also grab a large mixing bowl, and your food processor.
- Add the red pepper and onion to the food processor, and pulse until minced. Pour into the large mixing bowl.
- Add the brazil nuts, seeds, garlic cloves, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt to the food processor, and blend until it has combined into a grainy mixture. Pour into the mixing bowl with the onion and pepper.
- Add the beans and cilantro to the processor, and blend until almost smooth (a few chunks of bean is okay). Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Pour your oats into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients, and stir well to combine. The oats will expand and help hold the burgers together.
- Form into tight palm-sized patties, and place each onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use a spatula to flip each burger. Continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with ciabatta, avocado, cucumber, and arugula.
Is your mouth watering yet? MINE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These burgers freeze well, too.