Sadly, diabetes has become one of the most common and rampant diseases of our time- but take a look at SAD (Standard American Diet) and it’s no surprise as to why. According to the American Diabetes Association, in 2012, 9.3% of our population or 29.1 million Americans had diabetes. Let that sink in.
And, as if that isn’t bad enough, diabetes rates are still rising because we haven’t done enough to adjust our diets. If recent trends continue, we can expect- over the next 50 years- to see those rates skyrocket.
So, when you are a diabetic, changes in diet are imperative. But eating for your health doesn’t have to be drab or boring and to prove that, check out these three super tasty salads!
1. Spinach Salad With Garlic Vinaigrette
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, or about 6 ounces
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Combine all ingredients, minus red onion and spinach, in a large bowl while stirring with a whisk.
2. Add 6 cups spinach and red onion.
3. Toss to coat.
2. Endive and Cucumber Salad
- 200 grams of cucumbers
- 90 grams of endives
- 10 grams of black olives
- Olive oil
1. Prepare the endives, peel and cut the cucumbers.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Season with vinegar, salt, and oil to taste
3. Cucumber Salad
- 1 large English cucumber or 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered or 1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
(Makes 4 servings of about 1 cup each)
1. Peel the cucumbers to leave alternating green stripes. Then slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise, while scraping the seeds out using a spoon.
2. Cut into very thin slices by using a food processor or knife. Then put in a double layer of paper towel, while squeezing gently to remove any excess moisture.
3. Mix together the salt, stevia, and vinegar in a medium bowl. Stir to dissolve. Then add the cucumbers and sesame seeds.
4. Toss well to combine and serve immediately.
Source: Collective Evolution